May 5, 2014

My recent failures

I fail all the time. I recently failed at completing several MOOCs. I'm one of the unwashed masses that started but didn't finish.

Even through attempting, I learned something from each course. Given my personal value in life-long learning, improvement is my measure of success. Completion is easier to quantify and a more commonly accepted measure of success. A "factory" model of education values completion. A half completed commodity has little value. A factory stops work on a product and ships it. My professional life is continuous delivery. Any incremental improvement adds value to a continuous delivery system. I picked up new viewpoints on existing concepts that improved my understanding of the world through "failing" at MOOCs. I didn't get credit but I got value.

No comments:

Post a Comment