February 6, 2012

The new face of scientific publishing

I am part of the scientific journal publishing machine.

I have written published papers. Currently, I am peer-reviewing journal articles. I am on the cusp of submitting another paper for review. I truly enjoy that aspect of my science work. However, there is unnecessary friction in the current system, if the goal is to have the best science in the world as quickly as possible for people to read and use.

The paywall issue is a canary in the coal mine for this industry. The journal publishing industry is predicated on a false sense of scarcity. One example is the notion of finite space. This is true for printed journals. That limit no longer exists since journals are now primarily electronic.

I am not ready to completely jump off the sinking ship of conventional journal publishing, but I am willing to work for a system better suited to the digital age.

No comments:

Post a Comment