July 10, 2011

My 3 Types of Questions

My foundational research questions start with a "Why".

Why choose the basic science end of the research spectrum over the applied science end? Why focus on understanding "normal" brain function, in contrast to "abnormal" brain function? Why seek to understand the adult (18-40 years of age) brain, as opposed to the younger or older brain? These questions provide perspective and grounded motivation for what I do.

My primary research questions start with a "What".

What is the end goal of this study? What are the subgoals of this project? What does successful completion of this project look like? These questions set up the trajectory of any given project.

My secondary research questions start with a "How".

How best answer do I answer my primary research questions with my limited resources, whether they are money, time, or attention? How do I construct a project work flow? How do I best collaborate with other members of my team? How do I collect and analyze my data? These questions outline the way I walk the path of the project. They put into focus the vitally important details but are always addressed last.

No comments:

Post a Comment