April 21, 2011

3 Questions (and no answers)

It is amazing (almost overwhelming) the amount of information that comes across my eyeballs over the course of a day conducting research. There is almost always one more article to read or one more set of analysis to do.

I ask the following questions every time something demands my finite research resources:

What is the theoretical underpinnings?

What is the empirical track record?

What is the practical implementation?

It is still important to ask these questions, even if there aren't always clear answers.

These questions are fundamental to the doing of quality research (in contrast to talking about the doing of quality research). However, they are not limited to just that endeavor. I'm starting to ask them of anything that demands my finite time and attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment